Find an empty home
How do I find the owner of an abandoned property?
Whilst Empty Homes does not have the capacity to assist individuals or property developers in locating the owners of empty properties, there are a number of ways in which the owner may be located:
• Ask the neighbours – a lot of neighbours may know who owns the property in question and they may have details of how to get in touch with them. They may also be able to provide confirmation as to whether the property is actually occupied or not.
• If the neighbours are unsure if the property is occupied or do not have a way to contact the owner, then consider dropping a note through the door asking them to get in touch with you.
• For a small fee you can consult the Land Registry to find out if the property is registered and if so who owns the particular property. You can also confirm things like the boundaries of the land and anyone who may have a financial interest in the property, such as a mortgagee. The Land Registry can be accessed via the web link: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/
• Local Authority - the housing departments or empty homes team at the relevant local authority may be aware of the owner and be able to help put you in contact with them.
• Detective or tracing agency - could be engaged in order to try and trace the owner or monitor the property for any activity.
• Neighbourhood Watch: if the property is part of a local Neighbourhood Watch area, you may be able to ask local residents if they have seen any signs of activity at the house.
• Check the Electoral register – if the owner of the property is registered to vote they will be registered on the Electoral Register.
How do I find empty properties in my area?
Empty Homes does not have a list of empty properties or have access to any empty homes themselves. However, an empty property can be sourced through:
• The Local Authority - they may be aware of the empty properties in the area and may be able to provide you with a list or put you in touch with individual owners.
• Auctions - auction catalogues are a good place to start with when searching for empty properties that are for sale.
• Walking down the High Street – you may spot empty properties as you are walking around town. (See the above tips for trying to find the owner of the property).
For more information please contact:
T: 020 3135 0674
Empty Homes 2015 ©
Terms & Conditions